Spa and body care products can be super expensive, and the truth is, some of them are so inexpensive to make at home and they don’t take long at all! This DIY sugar scrub will take 15 minutes tops, and you may already have everything you need to make a batch for yourself, with some extra to give away as holiday gifts!
This scrub would be a really nice addition to a bath and body gift basket including handmade soap and a couple of crocheted wash cloths. As a matter of fact, I’m going to be doing something like that this year.
But shhhh….my extended family doesn’t know. *grin*
What You Need to Make DIY Sugar Scrub
For this recipe you don’t need much, but if you want to make sure you have everything on hand before you start, here is a list of the items with links so you can purchase them online, or just view the products.
- silicone spatula
- plastic dropper
- granulated sugar
- coconut oil
- 2-3 good smelling essential oils (see the notes section in the recipe for ideas)
- vanilla (real or a vanilla fragrance oil)
Making the Scrub
Once you have all of your items, print the recipe below and get started!
Basic DIY Sugar Scrub Recipe
- silicone spatula
- plastic dropper (optional)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 10-20 drops essential oil your choice, can be split between 2 or 3 if you'd like
- 10 drops vanilla use real or a fragrance oil
- 2-3 drops vitamin E oil
- Put sugar in a bowl
- in another bowl, add all of the liquids and mix thoroughly.
- add wet mixture to dry and incorporate well.
- transfer to airtight container(s).
- Peppermint, 10-12 drops + Vanilla, 6-10 drops
- Lavender, 10-12 drops + Lemon, 6-10 drops
- Orange, 10-12 drops + Clove, 4-6 drops
- Ylang Ylang, 10-12 drops + Rosemary, 4-6 drops
- To your already made scrub, add crushed dried petals to your mixture.
- Stir together with a few drops of fragrance oil (preferably that matches the flower) if needed, then spoon into jars or tubs.
- Place a couple full petals to the top of the mixture before closing.