Christmas is expensive enough without having to buy every. single. thing. Handmade gifts are a great way to hold costs down, and so is making homemade gift wrap from things like newspaper, grocery bags, and the back of gift wrap you hate. Still, when we hand make everything, we don’t want the whole gift to scream “I AM CHEAP”! Here are some ideas for embellishing your handmade Christmas gift wrap so it pops with rustic uniqueness, whimsicality, and color!
Handmade Christmas Gift Wrap Embellishments
- rubber stamps – for stamping paper grocery bags, the back of gift wrap you hate, or any other paper with festive patterns
- small pine cones – gather small pine cones and clean to hang on gifts
- pine sprigs – cut fresh pine springs from your outdoor tree (or your indoor one!) and tuck into gift ribbon
- holiday gift tags – print out and add a cute gift tag
- candy canes – tie a candy cane with ribbon or twine to the front of gift
- Christmas picks/fake Christmas foliage – pop a pick behind a bow
- handmade Christmas ornaments – hang from ribbon as an extra gift
- holiday buttons – glue onto front of gift in a cute pattern
- jute twine – use to tie tags, ornaments, or pine cones to gifts
- small chalkboard tags – write recipients name on tiny chalkboards!
- fabric bows – make bows from fabric you have in your stash
- fabric cutouts – glue hearts, stars, or Christmas trees to the fronts of your gifts
- raffia – use to wrap around gifts for a whimsical look
- mini Christmas ornaments – decorate your gift with tiny ornies for a fun look
- holiday colored papers – add a color pop to a plain paper bag by wrapping a strip around the gift
- holiday ribbon – send a message to your gift recipient with holiday ribbon
- markers – are you an artist? draw a cord of multi-colored Christmas lights in a cool pattern
- red and white twine – use to tie around your gift to add a little color pop
- paper doilies – glue to gift and add a sprig of pine or a bow on top
- holiday themed wooden shapes – paint festive colors and use as a gift tag
- crocheted chains in festive colors – use yarn stash scraps to make your own crocheted “ribbon” to embellish your gifts!
Keep track of gift-giving, handmade or store-bought, with my new Handmade Holidays Planner! Includes worksheets to keep track of costs!